General Introduction to Department
Greetings! As part of the Secondary School Curriculum, all students in Grades 6 – 10 must follow either the MYP English Language and Literature program or the MYP English Language Acquisition program.
The MYP English Language and Literature program is intended for students who are either native speakers of English or at a near native-English speaker level. For those who are still developing their competence in English, the school provides the MYP English Language Acquisition course, which is divided into three levels: Foundation, Standard and Advanced. The TIS English Foundation course is intended for those with a low level of English fluency and it takes a multi-pronged approach to teaching the basic required English intensely and quickly.
Students who are placed in the Foundation Level of English will receive three types of English Language Support to help them achieve a level of English that will allow them to be successful in the academic program of the school. These include:
- English Language Acquisition – The aim of this course is to provide a developmental language education within the school for students whose first language is not English. The primary focus is to develop the four key skills: reading, writing, listening and speaking using a variety of material including: literary texts, news and magazine articles, radio programmes etc. Students are assessed using MYP criteria appropriate for their level.
- English For Academic Purposes (EAP) – This course is scheduled during the additional language time for all English Foundation level students. The aim of this course is to provide language support that is specific to academic course work, with specific emphasis on humanities and science. Students will develop skills and study strategies that will enable full participation in the TIS curriculum. In order to do this, the EAP specialist teacher will works closely with subject teachers to discuss assessment criteria, goals and content material. The EAP class is adapted to meet the language and literacy skills necessary for academic success in each grade level.
- In Class Support –This support is designed to assist subject teachers with differentiation of instruction in the mainstream classes, as well as support EAP students. The EAP teacher will be scheduled to attend specific classes for a particular grade level, in order to ensure continuity. Content being covered during these classes will then be reinforced in a variety of different ways during the EAP class time.
The MYP English Language Acquisition program enables teachers to focus more easily on the specific needs of the learner, and has had very positive results. We believe that the addition of the EAP classes and the scheduled In-Class support also increases the speed and efficiency of the English language acquisition process.
MYP Aims for Language Acquisition
- gain proficiency in an additional language while maintaining their mother tongue and cultural heritage
- develop a respect for, and understanding of, diverse linguistic and cultural heritages
- develop communication skills necessary for further language learning, and for study, work and leisure in a range of authentic contexts and for a variety of audiences and purposes
- develop multi-literacy skills through the use of a range of learning tools, such as multi-media, in the various modes of communication
- develop an appreciation of a variety of literary and non-literary texts and develop critical and creative techniques for comprehension and construction of meaning
- come to recognize and use language as a vehicle of thought, reflection, self-expression and learning in other subjects, and as a tool for enhancing literacy