Tashkent International School (TIS) is a not-for-profit foundation established in 1994 by the United Nations Representative, the U.S. Department of State and 12 ambassadors to provide a globally-recognized education in English for the children of diplomatic and international business families in Tashkent. The school is an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School and is accredited by the Council of International Schools in the United States and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges.
Class sizes at TIS are small and average 16 students. An experienced, international faculty is guided by a teaching philosophy that challenges and supports students to be independent learners and thoughtful citizens.
The faculty at TIS is drawn from the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, France, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, the Netherlands, Belgium, India, South Korea, Portugal, Azerbijan, Spain, and Uzbekistan.
The TIS Secondary School is college preparatory and offers more than 16 IB courses to students in grade 11 and 12. Graduates from TIS go on to further studies in colleges and universities in the United States and around the world.
Colleges and universities that have accepted TIS graduates include:
• Albright College, Pennsylvania
• Amity College, Singapore
• Bahcesehir University, Turkey
• Bedford University, United Kingdom
• Bentley University, Massachusetts
• Berkley College of Music, Massachusetts
• Boston University, Massachusetts
• Brown University, Rhode Island
• Butler University, Indiana
• Chinese University of Hong Kong
• College of Wooster, Ohio
• Columbia University, New York
• Duke University, North Carolina
• George Fox University, Oregon
• Grinnell College, Iowa
• Gustavus Adolphus College, Minnesota
• Haage Hogeschool, Netherlands
• Harvard University, Massachusetts
• Indiana University, Indiana
• International University, Bremen, Germany
• Ithaca College, New York
• Lafayette College, Pennsylvania
• Lehigh University, Pennsylvania
• The University of Manchester, United Kingdom
• Middlebury College, Vermont
• Melbourne University – Australia
• Penn State University, Abingdon
• University of Chicago, Illinois
• University of British Columbia Okanagan, Canada
• University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada
• University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, Philadelphia
• University of Richmond, Virginia
• Sewanee, the University of the South, Tennessee
• University of Toronto, Canada
• Webster University of Geneva
• Wellesley College, Massachusetts
• Wentworth Military Academy, Missouri
• Whitman College, Washington
• Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts
TIS is also a member of the Central and Eastern European Schools Association (CEESA).
As an IB World School, TIS offers the full IB Diploma Programme for students in grades 11 and 12; the Primary Years Programme for students in kindergarten through grade 5; and the Middle Years Programme for students in grades 6 through 10. The school is also recognized as a fully adequate educational institution for students in kindergarten through grade 12 by the U.S. State Department Office of Overseas Schools for U.S. Foreign Service families.
The school’s programs and its graduates are recognized as meeting the highest standards of European and American education. TIS is the only IB World School in Central Asia to be accredited both in Europe and the United States.
The school also has an active Parent Teacher Association which supports the school through a wide range of activities including the annual family picnic, United Nations Day, the spring ball, book fairs, and many other events.
TIS moved to its current facility in October 2004 and is currently finishing the construction of a new Arts & Design Building, which will open for students in August 2014. The campus provides excellent facilities and resources, including well-equipped classrooms, three computer labs, a library and media center, two indoor gymnasiums, an auditorium, science labs, recreation areas and sports fields. The full campus is six hectares with plenty of space for future development.
Plans are currently in place for the construction of a new elementary building to allow the school to increase enrollment. During the summer of 2012, other facility improvements were made, including the creation of a new playing field for elementary students and the construction of a new school kitchen with covered outdoor seating. A multi-purpose outdoor playing surface was installed in 2013 and a new elementary playground was completed in spring 2014.
Tashkent International Medical Clinic leases the north end of the TIS campus and has a modern, well-equipped medical facility that is easily accessible by staff and students.